So I was at a entrepreneurship learning and networking event in South Jordan tonight put on by LaunchUp.org -- they do these events once a month. I met a guy who is doing www.findproz.com. It's basically a copy of Teach Street. He has funding and says its going really well.
There was also a company that presented called www.explore.io - it's basically an online comunity for outdoor recreation but their business model is to sell it to retailers and let them put their own skin on it. They'll also sell the data they collect. He said several big retailers are very interested - like Sportsman Warehouse.
My main take aways from the night were:
1) it's ideal to find a product to sell versus building an online community (a very tough thing to do)
2) there seems to be traction out in the market place (both for pros teaching joes and for outdoor recreation)
3) we can't worry too much about who else is out there doing the same thing. there will always be people doing something similar - we just need to differentiate a little and then do it better.
4) you only do by doing
and 5) I'm not made for working a room. I really like talking with people and hearing what they're doing, but I don't enjoy the networking aspect.
No comments:
Post a Comment